Friday, March 13, 2009

Chatty Cashier Part II/ Tow Truck Driver Edition

My car battery died and I needed a boost. So the tow truck comes and the guy works his magic for 25 seconds and everything is back up and running. He gets into his truck, begins to drive away and I'm thinking to myself that this was the fastest service job ever. No wasted time, straight up business and I couldn't have been happier. Except after driving two feet, he stops his truck, rolls down his window and proceeds to start a conversation with me.
He tells me, "Hey I noticed you were from Brooklyn, how far do you live from Coney Island?"
He proceeds to ask me whether I've ever been to Manhattan, and whether I've ever eaten at various restaurants in the city.
I was so caught off guard that I was incoherent as I answered his meaningless questions. What compels people to do this? Why must everything be connected to this meaningless chit chat? Please...Somebody just make it stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment